Google
 

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Stardust

hmmm... I've been a very baaaaad girl... (what can you expect from "wicked witches"?)


The best thing about fairy tales is the magical aspect of the story. It has the ability to transport you to places where the possibilities are as endless as your imagination dictates. This is the main reason I am such a fan of Neil Gaiman. His penchant for highly imaginative stories has earned him a cult following all over the world and revived this particular kurly fan's belief in the inspiring powers of an honest-to-goodness fairy tale.

abra-cadabra!!!!


Stardust was originally an illustrated novel that Gaiman did with artist Charles Vess. Although the film is a bit of a "toned-down" version of their original novel, it nevertheless gives us a glimpse of the magical universe that Gaiman has been known for crafting. Targetting family as it's primary audience, Stardust gives us an enchanting journey of discovery for the hero Tristan (as played by newcomer Charlie Cox). The story moves forward as good-natured Tristan tries to win the good graces of the local beauty Victoria (Sienna Miller) by volunteering himself to retrieve a falling star that plummets from the heavens onto the lands bordering their native town of Wall.

Tristan: To prove that I love you... I'm going to get you your own "fallen star"!
Victoria: Did you spike the drinks or somethin? ARE YOU FRIGGIN NUTS? what the heck is in this drink anyway?

Tristan's adventure starts upon crossing the borders of Wall into the magical realm of Stormhold. Upon reaching the "star" and coming to terms that the said heavenly body is in fact a beautiful woman in the person of Yvaine (Claire Danes), Tristan realizes that doing this particular deed for love isn't going to be all that simple. He meets up with various characters, each of whom have their own vested interest in the fallen star. From murderous princes to evil witch queens, Tristan must somehow shed his awkward nature and find the "hero within" (yeah... it's cliche, but believe me... it still works!) in order to make it back to Wall and prove his deed to his so-called "true love" Victoria.

From ZERO...



...to ZERO...


...to ZERO...

...and FINALLY... a HERO...

Good call on casting Michelle Pfieffer as the witch-queen Lamia bent on gaining the secret of the fallen star, although it's Robert De Niro who ends up stealing the show with his suprisingly amusing antics. 'Ol Bobby never ceases to amaze me as he pulls a comedic "fast one" on the audience with his portrayal of Captain Shakespeare, an airship captain who helps young Tristan and Yvaine on their journey back to the town of Wall.

are you talkin' to me??? .....and who are you calling a "whoopsie"?!?!?


The movie provides a good show for the kiddies and the kids-at-heart (that would be me of course... HA!) as well as those people out there who enjoy adventure with a good helping of romantic mush on the side. One particular scene that kurled this humble auteur's ticker (and which I would particularly encourage you to look out for...) would be the one where Yvaine professes her feelings to a currently incapacitated Tristan about their whole adventure together... classic dialogue if I say do so myself... which I do... ummmm.... whatever... just see for yourself, you'll get it... I hope...


watch where you're putting those hands mister!!!!!!

All in all, Stardust a flick for the whole family, and yes... you can even bring your silly relatives (the more the merrier I would think so...).

did I tell you that Michelle Pfieffer was perfectly cast as Lamia the Witch Queen?
I did? well... she IS... I mean perfect... cast that is...
oh dagnabbit!...
aint she a beaut? =)

Now scoot! Go see it already will ya? =)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I love the Zero to zero to zero and finally....still a zero comment...oh wait..that says hero..my bad. Mr. Cox will always be a Zero in my long book of "Cleansings". Tristan!? WTF!? Thats totally my last name!??? Bah!
Ok..you have inspired me to check this flick. And LOOK!!! I finally commented!

The Kurly One said...

drinks all around!!!! the Kurly One has been graced with an Infernal comment!

Glad you liked it sister =)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I liked Stardust the book (haven't gotten around to watching the movie yet). Given the reviews, I have high hopes for the movie.

Must say, the dialogs below the pictures are just brilliant. Tried your hand at writing movies, lately?

The Kurly One said...

well, thanks for the kudos amey.=)

As I have yet to find the right actor to portray me in a thrill-a-minute, rib-tickling, adventure-comedy adaptation of "My Kurly Life"... I have deliberately postponed finishing my autobiographical screenplay. But that doesnt mean it won't happen... and of course "monkeys MIGHT fly out of my butt". =)

Nah, kidding aside, I'm just having fun writing about the things I love most: Movies, Books and whatever else there is in between. But seriously, I would like to try screenplays soon... =)

Amey said...

The monkeys bit might be a problem for the actor... Something to keep in mind while casting.

Screenplays, and I forgot... comics. Try those too.